Updated May 25, 2018
1. Who We Are
GiveCampus Inc. (together with its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, and directors – collectively, ‘GiveCampus’, ‘we,’ or ‘us’) provides software and services that help non-profits more effectively raise money from and engage with their constituents. Our main software and services are two funding platforms for non-profits (“The Social Fundraising Platform” and “Giving Forms by GiveCampus”) and a volunteer management platform for non-profits (“The Volunteer Management System”). We are a Delaware Corporation based in Washington, DC.
2. Our Commitment to Privacy
3. The Information We Collect and Receive
In order for you to use our Site and Services, we need to collect and process certain information. GiveCampus strives to provide a great user experience without requiring you to submit any more information than is necessary to use the Site and Services effectively. We do not require you to register for an account or submit information in order to visit the Site. Many activities on the Site can be performed without providing any information. When we ask you for information to, for instance, participate in an activity, set up an account or a fundraising campaign, or make a donation, we will not require anyone to disclose more information than we believe is reasonably necessary to participate in the activity. Depending on your use of GiveCampus and which particular product or service you use, the information we collect and process may include:
- Information that you provide by completing forms on the Site (e.g., your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, country of residence, login, and password details), including if you create a GiveCampus account, make a donation, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit content through the Site, or if you contact us;
- Information you provide for identity verification purposes when onboarding an entity with GiveCampus (e.g., a non-profit institution) and/or launching a campaign, including your legal name, business name and business Tax ID (or other business identification numbers), and date of birth. In some cases, a third party payment processor with which we partner may also require that you provide information for identity verification purposes. This may require that you upload an identity document such as your passport, drivers license, or other government-issued ID, and it may require that you securely enter some or all of your Social Security Number for identity verification and anti-fraud purposes.
- Your login and password details, in connection with the account creation and sign-in process;
- Details of any requests or transactions you make through the Site or Services;
- Information about your activity on and interaction with the Site and Services, such as your IP address, the device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site;
- Information about the ways people visit and interact with our Site and Services, in the form of traffic analytics. You can opt out of being included in Google Analytics here;
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem);
- Information that you submit on or to the Site in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, messages to other users, or emails that you send via the Site or Services (e.g., emails you may send to other people via The Volunteer Management System); and
- The email address associated with your Facebook account, if you choose to sign up for an account using your Facebook credentials. GiveCampus will also request permission to access your name, profile picture, and friend list (these permissions are governed by Facebook’s privacy policies and can be managed through your Facebook privacy settings). We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission. You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use our Services. You may donate via GiveCampus as a guest without creating an account. However, to manage donations, save payment details for future donations, utilize The Volunteer Management System, or take certain other actions on our Site, you will need to create an account. You may review, change or remove certain information through your account settings.
4. How We Use The Information We Collect
We use the information we collect in a manner that is consistent with this Policy. If you provide information for a certain reason, we may use the information in connection with the reason for which it was provided. For instance, if you make a donation via GiveCampus, we will use the information you provide while making that donation to process your donation and we will share the information with the beneficiary of your donation so that they may identify you as a donor.
We use the information we collect for the following specific purposes:
- To keep your account secure and protect our Services (including to verify the identities of users and prevent fraud and abuse);
- To identify you when you sign in to your account;
- To enable us to provide you with the Services and to improve and promote our Services;
- To send you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us;
- To present campaigns and other content to you when you use the Service which we believe will be of interest;
- To create and administer your account, process donations, and provide products or services to you;
- To provide reporting to any school(s) or organization(s) to which you have made a donation or otherwise supported via GiveCampus (even if you have asked that your name not be publicly displayed);
- To notify the creator of a campaign that you have supported their campaign;
- To facilitate communication between us and you including, without limitation, responding to your questions or comments, sending emails concerning our products and services, or to contact you for feedback regarding GiveCampus;
- To track and analyze the use of the Site and Services and the people visiting GiveCampus to improve our content and Site and Services and provide users with the best experience possible;
- To use for other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information;
- To enforce our agreements with you, prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities, for other legally permissible purposes and generally to ensure that we comply with applicable laws;
- To help connect you with other individuals affiliated with or interested in the same or similar organizations and schools; and
- To display campaigns you have supported on your profile page (if you have an account).
4.1 European Union Users
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services, enable schools and organizations to establish and display their fundraising campaigns and pages, enable supporters to find and make donations, and enable volunteers to register for and use The Volunteer Management System.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes the law says we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of donations and payments made through our Services.
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and to keep the Site and Services secure. We analyze how users interact with our Site and Services so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are not working so well. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all of our users.
You have the right to request a copy of the information we collect and process about you, to have incomplete or inaccurate information rectified, and to request that we delete your information (Note: we are not obliged to do so if we need to retain such data in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims). You can make any such requests by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that GiveCampus may take up to 30 days to fulfill such requests.
Subject to applicable law, if you are a citizen or resident of the European Economic Area, you also have the right to (i) object to GiveCampus’s use of your personal information and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority if you believe that we have not complied with applicable data protection laws. A list of local data protection authorities in European countries is available here.
5. How This Information Is Shared
- When you create an account, we create a profile page for you on GiveCampus containing your user name, a profile picture, details you have provided about your educational history (or that we have collected from Facebook, if you registered for an account by connecting your Facebook account), and a list of any fundraising campaigns that you have created or supported (but not your donation amounts). This profile is public. People can click your name wherever it appears on the Site to view your profile. People can “Follow” you and when they do, they will be notified if and when you support a campaign–unless you do so anonymously. If you use your account to serve as an Advocate for a fundraising campaign or to serve as a volunteer via The Volunteer Management System, we share information and reporting about you and your activity with the school or organization for which you are advocating or volunteering.
- When you donate to a fundraising campaign via The Social Fundraising Platform, your name will be displayed on the webpage for that campaign unless you opt out of having your name displayed. Other information that you provide when making your donation, such as your affiliation with the beneficiary of your support (e.g., alumnus/a), your class year (e.g., 2005), your location (city, state, country), and/or specific details about your donation (e.g., the fund to which you designated the donation) will be utilized to populate statistics and infographics on the campaign webpage (e.g., the class leaderboard and the donor “heat map”).
- We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect GiveCampus’s Site and Services. Examples include, but are not limited to, companies and individuals who: (i) process donations (e.g., payment processors); (ii) conduct surveys or promotional activities; (iii) deliver products; or (iv) provide customer support, web hosting, internet service, and data analysis. We may also share information that’s aggregated and/or anonymized in a way such that it doesn’t directly identify you.
- When you upload a video to GiveCampus, we partner with Vimeo to host that video so that others can view it via GiveCampus. Thus, if you upload a video to GiveCampus, you also agree to Vimeo’s terms and their privacy policies with respect to that video and the information associated with it.
- When you make a donation or otherwise support a school or organization via GiveCampus’s Site or Services (including via The Social Fundraising Platform, Giving Forms by GiveCampus, and/or The Volunteer Management System), we share your information with the beneficiary of your support (e.g., the school or organization to which you are donating or for which you are advocating or volunteering). The beneficiary is required to treat your information in accordance with its published privacy policies; if you have a question about those policies, please contact the beneficiary directly. Beneficiaries (e.g., schools and organizations) control which individuals have access to the information we share with them; if you have any questions about which individuals a beneficiary may grant access to your information, please contact the beneficiary directly. Beneficiaries should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security Number; please contact us at email@example.com if you receive a request for information via GiveCampus (or see such a request on a form on GiveCampus) that seems inappropriate or excessive. We may share aggregated or anonymized information about your activity on GiveCampus, such as traffic analytics, with beneficiaries. You may receive communications from the beneficiary of your support (e.g., the school to which you donate). If you wish to stop receiving such communications, please contact the beneficiary directly.
- We do reserve the right to disclose your information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect GiveCampus’s legal rights, property, or the safety of GiveCampus, its employees, users, or others. We may also exchange information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, risk reduction and related activities or to protect the rights, property or safety of GiveCampus, its agents, employees or affiliates or others.
5.1 Sale or Transfer of Information
In the event of a sale, merger, liquidation, dissolution or sale or transfer of substantially all of the assets of GiveCampus or the Site or Services, your information may be sold, assigned or transferred to the party acquiring all or substantially all of the equity and/or assets of GiveCampus or the Site or Services in order to permit the party to continue the operation of GiveCampus and/or the Site or Services or any successor version of the Site or Services. By using the Site or Services and providing information to GiveCampus, you consent to the sale and transfer of your information as described in this paragraph.
6. Links to Other Websites and Services
We will retain your information as long as necessary for the purpose for which that information was collected and to the extent permitted or required by applicable laws and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and protect GiveCampus’s legal rights. We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized, or pseudonymized information which we may retain indefinitely to protect the safety and security of our Site, improve our Services, or comply with legal obligations.
8. Data Transfers
9. Your Rights
Users residing in certain countries, including the EU, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable globally, all GiveCampus users can request a downloadable copy of their personal data from GiveCampus at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To request that we modify or delete the personal information you’ve provided to us, please email us at email@example.com. Certain information can be modified or removed directly from your profile page (if you have created an account). We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
10. Email and Mobile Notifications
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send. We will send you email relating to your transactions on GiveCampus. You may also elect to receive certain email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time by adjusting your notifications settings. We’ll also send you service-related announcements when it is necessary to do so.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it travels over the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure or error free, so GiveCampus cannot guarantee its absolute security. In particular, email sent to or from GiveCampus may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email. If you create an account, your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure. GiveCampus has no control over the security of other websites on the Internet that you might visit even when a link may appear to those websites from our Site. If you share your computer or use a computer that is accessed by the general public, remember to sign off and close your browser window when you have finished your session.
We encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities of our Site and Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use GiveCampus on their own. GiveCampus does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Site or Services. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we will delete it.
We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as quickly as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
13. Changes to this Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. When we post changes to this Policy, we will revise the updated date on this page. If we make any material changes to our Policy, we will notify you on the Site or by sending an email to the email address associated with your account (if applicable). We recommend that you check the Site from time to time to inform yourself of any changes in this Policy or any of our other policies. If you keep using GiveCampus after a change to this Policy, that means you accept this Policy.
14. Contacting Us
If you have any questions about GiveCampus generally, this Policy or the Site or Services, please feel free to contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can contact us in writing at:
80 M St. SE
Washington, DC 20003
Updated: May 2018
Click here to view the previous version.